Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
is a buzzword that goes with any website and/or digital marketing strategy. SEO has many components that work together to give you a ranking for search engines. The higher your ranking, the closer you are to the top of the search engine listings.
Your search engine ranking follows the rules of an algorithm or formula. Each search engine has its own algorithm that dictates who is ranked where. The top search engine is Google, by far. According to Search Engine Journal, “The Google Search index contains hundreds of billions of webpages and is well over 100,000,000 gigabytes in size.” That is just a portion of the Internet. There is no way to “crawl” the whole Internet.
What about the small business website with five or ten pages?
Here is the short answer.
No matter what size website you have it all starts with keywords. When someone types something into Google or asks Siri about something, the search engine has crawled the Internet for web pages that have results for that question or keyword and they are ready to deliver the results in seconds using its rules as the guide.
In order to even be considered, you have to play by the rules.
Your website strategy should include these 10 Best SEO Practices:
- Contain the keywords and long-tail keywords that are laser-focused on what you do, who you help, what problem you solve, and how you solve it.
- Frequent, awesome content generation laser-focused on what you do, who you help, what problem you solve, and how you solve it. This content can be in the form of articles, videos, podcasts, infographics, ebooks, whitepapers, social media posts, photo journals, etc.
- A uniquely delivered or unique perspective on the subject of which you have expertise
- Shared content on other people’s websites that links back to you. The more clout they have, the better you are. i.e. national news sites, trade sites, influencers, etc.
- A consistent presence on top Intenet directories and communities. i.e. Facebook, Linkedin, Google My Business, Yelp!, TripAdvisor, etc.
- An active social media presence
- Site speed – the faster your site opens on both mobile and desktop, the better.
- Site page content – 700 – 1500 words per page on a single topic.
- Proper page layout design (I use Yoast and SEMrush as a page scoring guide)
- TIME and TESTING